roi1
roi2
roi3

Roi earned one battle star for World War II service.


USS Roi (CVE-103), originally MC hull 1140 and later projected as an AVG and an ACV, was laid down as Alava Bay (CVE-103) on 22 March 1944 by Kaiser Shipbuilding Co., Vancouver, Washington; renamed Roi on 26 April 1944; launched on 2 June 1944; sponsored by Mrs. William Sinton; acquired from the Maritime Commission and commissioned on 6 July 1944, Captain P. H. Lyon in command.

Service history

World War II

Following shakedown off San Diego, Roi was assigned to the Carrier Transport Squadron which carried planes, equipment, and men to forward bases. On 13 August 1944, she steamed for Espiritu Santo and Manus Island, loaded with 287 passengers and 71 planes, returning to San Diego on 27 September.   Underway again for Manus on 21 October, she returned to San Diego before departing on 2 December on a third voyage which took her to Eniwetok and Guam.

Following overhaul at Alameda, California, Roi made two round-trip voyages to bases in the Marshall and Mariana Islands before returning to Pearl Harbor to begin carrier refresher operations in preparation for her new duty as a replenishment carrier for the fast carrier task force of the 3rd Fleet.

Loading 61 replacement aircraft in a 30-day combat ready state, Roi sailed to Guam, where she reported to Task Group 30.8 (TG 30.8). Her duties were now to furnish pilots, crewmen, planes, and aviation supplies to the carriers of Task Force 38 (TF 38) on rendezvous days following their attacks on the Japanese home islands. Roi got underway on 4 July with Admiralty Islands, Hollandia and Thetis Bay, and met TF 38 at sea on 12 July, 16 July, and 20 July, retiring to Guam on the 21st to reload. She got underway on the 27th with 61 more planes, and joined the fast carriers on the 31st. Returning to Guam, the ship reloaded and met the task force again on 14 August, just prior to the cessation of hostilities, then remained with the 3rd Fleet off Japan in preparation for the occupation.

Post-War

Following the end of the war, Roi was used in "Magic-Carpet" operations, returning veterans to the United States for discharge.

Roi was decommissioned at Bremerton on 9 May 1946, struck from the Naval Vessel Register on 21 May, and sold on 31 December 1946 to Zidell Machinery & Supply of Portland, Oregon.

ECSAA, 1215 N Military Highway #128, Norfolk VA  23502
Telephone: 855.505.2469