Hollandia received two battle stars for World War II service.
USS Hollandia (CVE-97), formerly AVG-97 and ACV-97, was an Casablanca class escort carrier of the United States Navy.
Hollandia was launched under Maritime Commission contract as Astrolabe Bay (CVE-97) by Kaiser Co., Inc., Vancouver, Washington on 28 April 1944; sponsored by Mrs. William H. Wheat; renamed Hollandia on 30 May 1944; and commissioned on 1 June 1944, Captain Charles L. Lee in command.
World War II
Following training off the West Coast, Hollandia sailed 10 July 1944 from San Diego for a shakedown cruise to Espiritu Santo. She also transported replacement aircraft on this cruise, and on the return voyage stopped at Manus Island and Guadalcanal, arriving Port Hueneme, California on 27 August. During the next few months the escort carrier made similar cruises between the United States and the Navy's bases in the far Pacific, Manus, Ulithi, and Guam, bringing vitally-needed supplies and passengers.
Hollandia was anchored at Ulithi on 1 April 1945 when the Navy's massive amphibious assault of Okinawa began. She got underway next day and operated off the Okinawan coast, sending fighters to support the advancing troops. The ship then returned to San Diego, arriving on 1 May 1945. Following a cargo and passenger voyage to Pearl Harbor and return, Hollandia departed on 7 June to take part in the climactic events of the Pacific war. Loading replacement aircraft at Pearl Harbor, the ship sailed on 18 June to operate with 3rd Fleet's logistic supply unit, and for the final 2 months of the war, she brought valuable replacements to the carriers of the fast task forces pounding Japan.
Following the surrender of Japan, Hollandia underwent conversion at Guam for use as a passenger ship and joined Operation "Magic-Carpet", charged with the gigantic task of returning the tens of thousands of American servicemen in the Pacific including the 317 weary, but deliriously happy, survivors from the USS Indianapolis CA-35 following their medical treatment on Guam. After four such voyages, the ship returned to San Pedro, California. Departing on 4 February 1946, she arrived Puget Sound on 15 February and decommissioned on 17 January 1947. She was reclassified while in reserve to CVU-97 on 12 June 1955 and to AKV-33 on 7 May 1959. Hollandia was sold to Eisenberg & Co., New York on 31 December 1960, and later scrapped in Portland, Oregon.