USS Charger (CVE-30)

USS Charger (CVE-30) (originally BAVG-4, then AVG-30, then later ACV-30) was an escort carrier of the United States Navy during World War II.

Planned as the third of four C-P-3 cargo/passenger liners of the C3 design for the Moore-McCormack company, the ship was launched on 1 March 1941 by Sun Shipbuilding and Drydock Co., Chester, Pennsylvania; named Rio de la Plata, it was sponsored by Mrs. Felipe A. Espil (Courtney Letts de Espil).


On 20 May 1941, the United States Maritime Commission requisitioned all four unfinished combiliners, for conversion to military use.

ECSAA, 1215 N Military Highway #128, Norfolk VA  23502
Telephone: 855.505.2469